Inside: Save yourself a headache with these useful tips you need to know before start making a quiet book.
Okay, you decided to make a DIY quiet book as a present, but know what? Are you a bit confused and overwhelmed with all the informations you found. You don’t wanna miss anything in the process and wants your project to be perfect. So question is where and how exactly to start DIY quiet book?
It is a common issue when you are making a quiet book for the first time. Even if you already started, there is always something new to learn. My Quiet Book guide is good way to start and find many useful links, quiet book patterns and tips.
Here you will find useful tips you need to be aware before you start. These steps will make your process of making easier and save you more work at the very end.
So let’s start.
This post may contain affiliate links.
1. Decide a theme you wanna do, main colours and what is your end goal. You can focus on child favourite movie, characters or you can be focused on pages with different activities that will help your child to learn and develop fine motor skills.
Bonus: Download a free worksheet to plan your quiet book.
2. Decide on a size of each page and number of pages. Most common page size is 9×9 inches, but you can do bigger or smaller, just keep in mind that most of the patterns you will find online is made for basic 9×9 inches size. Number of pages my vary anywhere from 6, 10, 12 or more.
3. For page reinforcement (in between pages) choose thick batting or fusible fleece .
4. When buying fabric 1/2 yard would be enough for pages. If you are making book with 9×9 inches pages you need 10 inches square fabric for one page. For activities on pages use felt and fabric scraps.
5. Pre-wash and iron all fabric before cutting. Use natural detergent to avoid allergies.
BONUS: If you are new to sewing I highly recommend this free basic sewing machine course where you will learn how to troubleshoot issues.
6. Buy variety felt colours in a sheets instead buying a yard. You will use small pieces. However if you intend to make more quiet books I recommend buying 1/2 yard in colours that are use more often, like light blue for sky, water, ponds; green for grass, bushes and trees, brown for soil, tree trunks, garden soil. Also consider white and black.
7. When creating pages consider leaving about 1 – 1/2 inch on a side for binding. I suggest that you make cardboard template where the binding holes will go (if you are doing binder rings). Keep in mind that one side of page has binding on right side, and the other side of page has binding on the opposite (left) side.
8. Learn different ways to transfer pattern on to felt and decide which one works the best for you.
9. Use fusible web to keep pieces in place instead instead of using pins. This will save you lots of time.
10. Now when you have an idea how to start, gather your materials. Having a list of quiet book materials you can make your present without delays.
Hope this list gave you a better idea of how to start making a quiet book.
And one more thing before you leave.
I would suggest that you start with easy pages, rather than complex one. Making a complex page (that you never done before) may go wrong and you can feel defeated if you are not satisfied with a final outcome. Making first page successfully will mean a tremendous success to you. This small victory will give you necessary enthusiasm and confidence in yourself to conquer even complex pages.
To get started download worksheet for an easy planing and sign up here for more tips on how to make a quiet book.
If you know someone who could benefit from these useful tips for making a quiet book, please take a moment and share it.
Copyright © 2018 Lily Zunic